New Resident Information

City Social Media Accounts


  • A central point of contact for city residents to report a problem, request a service, pay bills, make a complaint or ask a question about city services and programs. 
  • Available by calling 311 within the city limits, or 336-727-8000, by email, through the CityLink app or by live chat via the city website.
  • Staffed Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. CityLink is closed all holidays except Good Friday and the day after Thanksgiving, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
  • A CityLink mobile app is available for Android or Apple that allows you to send photos of your service request, such as a pothole that needs filling.


Go to the Sanitation page for quick links to pages about our Sanitation Department services.

  • Basic services: 

    • All city households receive free weekly garbage collection from the city Sanitation Department and free bi-weekly recycling collection from Waste Management.
    • Visit our recycling page for information on what you can recycle. This video explains more about our recycling program. 
    • Residents in single family houses have free use of city-issued roll-out carts for their garbage (brown cart) and recycling (blue cart). 
    • At the curb, place your cart with the lid hinge AWAY from the street and at least three feet away from cars, mailboxes and other carts. Watch this video that explains why it matters.
    • Carts are assigned to addresses, not individuals. If you moved into a single-family house inside the city limits, you should have carts at your house. If not call CityLink at 311.
    • Garbage, recycling and yard waste collections can be affected by holidays. 
    • Sanitation collection changes are posted on the division’s holiday schedule page. Additionally the holiday schedule advertised in the newspaper at the start of each year and is sent out in water/sewer bills.
    • If you forget your collection days for any Sanitation services, you can find the information by typing in your address on our Winston-Salem Collects.
  • Other Sanitation Services

    • Brush collection: Sanitation collects brush from single-family houses about every three or four weeks. The timing varies with the amount of brush that is set out. Brush must be placed at the curb and be in lengths of 6 feet or less. No tree trunks or branches over 6 inches in diameter.
    • Yard-waste collection: The city offers optional weekly collection of yard waste (grass, leaves, shrubbery clippings) to single-family houses for a yearly fee. Customers must buy a green roll-out yard cart to use the service.
    • Leaf collection: Every fall the city collects leaves placed at the curbside for free. Leaf collection typically start in early November and runs into January – or as long as it takes to make three passes through every neighborhood. Watch this video to learn more about leaf collection.
    • Bulky item collection: Once a year the city will collect for free many bulky items (furniture, old appliances, old carpets etc.) that can’t go in the garbage. 
      • Bulky Item collection is provided to single-family residences, not businesses or apartments. 
      • The city sends households a post card about three to four weeks in advance of their collection week so residents know when to set out their bulky items. 
      • See the list of what the city can and cannot accept during bulky item collection.
  • Information about landfills and household hazardous is listed under Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Utilities.


Water and sewer service is provided by Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Utilities, a joint city and county department that is administered through the city.

   Other Utilities services

  • Utilities operates all solid waste facilities in the county, including landfills .
  • Homeowners are allowed two free passes to the landfill every 12 months.
  • The landfills accept used appliances (“white goods”) and old tires (five per household per year) at no charge to city residents.
  • Utilities also oversees the 3RC Household Hazardous Waste Facility for paint, chemicals and other household hazardous waste and electronic waste, including old TVs and computers. All city residents can drop off items at 3RC at no charge.

Recreation and Parks

The Recreation & Parks Department offers a full range of recreation programs and activities including golf courses, tennis courts, recreation centers, athletic leagues, greenways, pools and aquatics, parks, picnic shelter rentals, programs for seniors and programs for special populations.

See everything Recreation & Parks has to offer at


  • Winston-Salem Transit Authority

    • WSTA operates fixed route buses service throughout the city, and offers TransAid bus service on demand for eligible riders who are older adults or have a disability that prevents them from using WSTA’s fixed route services.
    • WSTA’s NextBus app allows riders to track their bus and see when it will arrive at their bus stop.
    • The Clark Campbell Transportation Center, located downtown acts as the central hub for WSTA bus services. 
  • Piedmont Authority for Regional Transportation 

    • PART provides regional bus service to Winston-Salem and the greater Piedmont Triad including High Point and Greensboro.
    • PART Express bus routes serve various Winston-Salem locations, including the Clark Campbell Transportation Center in downtown Winston-Salem. 
    • PART also offers park and ride service from outlying areas and coordinates ride sharing services including van pools and car pools.

City Government

  • Winston-Salem has a manager-council form of government. Under this system, the City Council sets policy direction. The city manager, who is hired by the council, is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the city. 
  • The City Council comprises the mayor, elected at large by all voters in the city, and eight council members who are elected by wards. You can find your ward on this ward map[pdf].
  • The City Council meets on the first and third Monday nights of the month. Council committees meet the second Monday and Tuesday of the month. All meeting are carried live by WSTV Digital Media, the city’s cable channel.

   Community Assistance Liaisons

Police Department

  • The Winston-Salem Police Department has its headquarters on Cherry Street and three district police stations where patrol officers are based.
  • New residents with home alarm systems must register their system with the police department. There is no fee to register the alarm. 
  • Alarm owners are allowed three false alarms during a 12-month tracking period without penalty. Starting with the fourth false alarm, a penalty is accessed.