Workers Compensation

The Workers' Compensation department for City of Winston-Salem is committed to providing quality service to all customers in the most pleasant and professional manner. Our goal is to ensure that all city employees and medical providers are paid accurately and in a timely manner. All compensable injuries are managed efficiently and effectively in accordance with the North Carolina General Statute 97 of 1929.

Normal Reporting Procedures

  • If you are injured as a result of an accident while on the job, regardless of how minor it may seem, you are required to report your injury at once to your immediate supervisor.
  • Complete an Accident and Incident Report (PDF).
  • If medical treatment is required, your supervisor will allow you to go to the Employee Medical Services office immediately, where the City Nurse will provide treatment as needed.
  • If additional medical treatment is necessary, the injured employee will be provided with an Authorization for Medical Treatment form and sent to PrimeCare or nearest hospital.
  • If the on-the-job injury does not occur between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, your supervisor will allow you to go to PrimeCare or the nearest hospital; you must notify the Employee Medical Services office the next business day.
  • You must take all authorization forms and doctor’s reports to Employee Medical Services.
  • All compensation payments and medical bills for compensable claims will be paid through the Workers’ Compensation Office.
  • Bills received for unapproved treatment will be the responsibility of the injured employee.

Emergency Procedures

Unless it is an extreme emergency, you are not authorized to go to the doctor or emergency room without consulting the City Nurse. In case of a life-threatening injury, call 911 and report the injury so an ambulance will be sent; you should be transported to the nearest hospital; your supervisor should notify Employee Medical Services and Risk Management as soon as possible.


Any prescriptions written by the attending physician for a work related injury can be filled by using an authorized Express Scripts Pharmacy card. Express Scripts cards can be requested by the City Nurse on the employees behalf. The Express Scripts card can be used at any pharmacy.

Follow-Up Procedures

Follow-up care should be coordinated by the City Nurse; do not go to your family doctor. Ambulance bills will be sent directly to you; it is your responsibility to submit the bill to the Workers’ Compensation Office for payment.