Commendations & Complaints

Make A Commendation

A person wishing to commend a WSPD officer or employee may file a Citizen Police Commendation online via the WSPD website. The online form seeks a description of the event or action that forms the basis for the commendation. A person submitting a commendation may attach documents, photos, audio or video data if desired. 

The information submitted will be reviewed by the employee’s chain of command and forwarded for approval.  

If the Chief of Police approves, the employee will be recognized and commended in the appropriate manner.

Above & Beyond Awards

Each day, the men and women of the Winston-Salem Police Department engage in outstanding work that is vital to the safety and general well-being of the city. At times, our officers and non-sworn employees go well beyond the scope of their daily duties or perform in a manner that is exemplary and Above and Beyond what is expected of them. It is important that those acts be recognized and applauded.

Submit an Informal Complaint

Informal complaints may be filed online via WSPD's website. Such complaints may include questions, concerns and lower level allegations. A person submitting a complaint may attach documents, photos, audio or video data if desired. 

After a complaint is filed, the WSPD's Professional Standards Division will make contact with the person to review the submitted information. Informal complaints will be referred to the officer’s supervisor for review, investigation and a response according to WSPD policies and procedures.  

If the person filing the complaint is not satisfied with the outcome, he or she can proceed under the formal complaint process.

Submit a Formal Complaint 

Formal police complaints may be filed at City Hall in the City Secretary’s Office or at the WSPD's Professional Standards Division ("PSD"). A person filing a formal complaint will need to complete a hard copy form.

PSD will investigate the complaint. Completed investigations are reviewed and approved by the PSD Commander and the Chief of Police. The person filing the complaint will be notified of the findings.

If the person filing the complaint is satisfied the matter is resolved. If the person seeks a further review, the person may appeal to the Citizen Police Review Board ("CPRB").