Storm Drainage Improvements on Private Property

Under certain circumstances the city will address storm drainage problems on private property. The property must be zoned residential and owned by the occupants. The problem must be caused by street water. In addition:

  • All requests for storm drainage improvements on private property must be approved by the City Council, and owners must pay 30% of the cost.
  • The assistant city manager for public works must determine that the drainage problem: 
    • Causes flooding in the dwelling or otherwise threatens the structural integrity of the dwelling
    • Causes severe erosion of the drainage-way
    • Impedes the flow of water due to fallen brush and vegetative debris
    • Threatens to deny access to property that would be accessible
  • For newly constructed houses, the owner must have received a certificate of occupancy at least two years before requesting assistance;
  • The total cost of the improvements must not exceed $50,000.
  • For more Policy and Ordinance Information: 
    • City participation in drainage projects across private property
      (Chapter 75-Stormwater Management; Section 75-35)

Additional Information:

For questions and more information regarding storm drainage improvements on private property, please call Neil Uldrick at 336-747-6919.

To report drainage problems, please call CityLink 311 or 336-727-8000.