Stove Top Fire Suppression Devices

Home cooking fires occur far too often and can cause severe injuries to people and damage to property. Unattended cooking can quickly result in a fire that begins in the kitchen and can spread to other parts of the home. For this reason you should never leave your kitchen while food is cooking on the stove.

In our city, the Winston-Salem Fire Department responded to 667 residential building fires from January 2012 to June 2014, of which, 474 were cooking fires. That's 71% of all home fires in our city.

Stove Top Suppression Devices

There is a fire suppression device that would assist in extinguishing stovetop fires and help reduce fire damage in the home. Stove top suppression devices are designed to attach beneath the stove's hood or microwave. In the event of a stove top fire, the device detects it and dispenses a fire extinguishing agent to put out the fire.

While these devices are not required by the Winston-Salem housing code, the Winston-Salem Fire Department recommends that residents put these devices in their homes to help prevent the damaging effects that a cooking fire may cause.

Purchasing Stove Top Suppression Devices

There are two companies that offer these devices- StoveTop FireStop, and Auto-Out. The devices are currently available for purchase online only. Visit the company websites to see demonstration videos and purchasing information.

Apply for a Device

To apply for a free device, contact Theresa Knops, Senior Community Educator, at 336-407-1343.

The Winston-Salem stove top fire suppression program will provide free devices for qualified residents in an effort to reduce cooking fire disasters in Winston-Salem. Supplies, which are purchased through donated funds, are limited and may not always be available for everyone who meets the requirements.

  • Elderly and low income, or handicapped.
  • Cook regularly on stove top for most meals.
  • Live in an area where kitchen fires are prominent.
  • You will also need a photo ID and an electric bill or water bill in the resident's name.