For Residents

As homeowners, there are things that we do everyday that impact the quality of our local waterways. Remember, water is a finite resource.  The water we use today is the same water Will Shakespeare used to clean his pens.  It's the same water our children and grandchildren will use. So it's up to us to help protect their future.

Actions You Can Take

We can help protect our water by following these simple steps:

  • Collect and dispose of pet waste properly.
  • Help organize a community cleanup and/or adopt a street or adopt a stream.
  • Identify the storm drains in your neighborhood. Make sure that nothing but rain goes into the storm drain.
  • Limit fertilizer use and read the label.
  • Limit pesticide use and read the label.
  • Make your yard a Carolina Yard. Contact North Carolina Cooperative Extension at 336-703-2850, to learn the simple steps you can take to have a certified Carolina Yard.
  • Pick up litter that you see on the ground.  Bag and secure all trash and place in a proper disposal container.
  • Recycle all used motor oil.
  • Report suspected pollutants going into a stream or storm drain. Call City Link at 311 to report polluters.
  • Stabilize and vegetate bare and eroding areas of your lawn. Sediment is the number one source of pollution in North Carolina streams.
  • Take your car to a commercial carwash where water is recycled before it is released into the sanitary sewer system.
  • Volunteer to be a Storm Drain Marker or Adopt-A-Stream - call 336-747-6960.

Storm Drainage Improvements on Private Property

Under certain circumstances the city will address storm drainage problems on private property. The property must be zoned residential and owned by the occupants. In addition:

The problem must be caused by street water.

  • All requests for storm drainage improvements on private property must be approved by the City Council, and owners must pay 30% of the cost.
  • The assistant city manager for public works must determine that the drainage problem: 
    • Causes flooding in the dwelling or otherwise threatens the structural integrity of the dwelling
    • Causes severe erosion of the drainage-way
    • Impedes the flow of water due to fallen brush and vegetative debris
    • Threatens to deny access to property that would be accessible
  • For newly constructed houses, the owner must have received a certificate of occupancy at least two years before requesting assistance;
  • The total cost of the improvements must not exceed $50,000.