Business License Collections

The following types of businesses will need to renew or apply for a City of Winston-Salem Privilege License:

Beer and Wine Sales
Fortune Teller
Tattoo Artist

For North Carolina Department of Revenue Sales / Use tax identification numbers:

Businesses selling alcoholic beverages need to obtain certain licenses/permits through the Alcoholic Beverage Control Commission 
before applying for a City of Winston-Salem license.

Visit two locations in Winston-Salem 

2301 N. Patterson Ave.
Winston-Salem, NC 27105

3127 Starlight Drive
Winston-Salem, NC 27107

A business that may have to meet health regulations should contact the Environmental Health Division by calling 336-703-3225. A business that has three or more individuals working for it should contact the North Carolina Industrial Commission at 919-733-4820 concerning workers' compensation.

Registration & Applications

  • A business name has to be registered with the Forsyth County Register of Deeds office.
  • A home-based business located within Forsyth County requires an occupation permit. This permit is obtained through City/County Inspections. See the Forms page for permit application.
  • A business operating pushcarts or peddling by foot in the Central Business District requires a permit from the Development Office. This permit will need to be obtained before applying for a license.
  • View a listing of helpful business resources.


Beer off Premise$5
Beer on Premise$15
Door to Door Solicitor$25
Fortune TellerNo Fee
$1,000 Cash Bond Required
PanhandlerNo Fee
PawnbrokerNo Fee
$5,000 Surety Bond Required
Tattoo ArtistNo Fee
$1,000 Cash Bond Required
Taxicab$15 Per Vehicle
Wholesale Beer$37.50
Wholesale Wine$37.50
Wine off Premise$10
Wine on Premise$15